Sunday, April 17, 2016

Are we dancers making love to the loneliness of the wind?

Among the Orchids
©2016 by Jon Sargent

Your skin creases as it flutters
Where does the wind caress you?
Could you not find a flower to lie next to?
Its pedals within brazen reach
Now follows behind you
I see you write letters of surrender
Upon the wrapping coil of branches
Trapped in the vein of every absent leaf
Stabbed by the daggers that breach

Caught between worlds, this ghostly figure
I can hear its moans calling out to me
Are we dancers making love to the loneliness of the wind?
Who ravishes the morning dew
Or squelches moonlight on your naked back
The bramble hurricane spiral
Draws me into your eye forever
Above expectations that rotate furiously
Find the center that unwinds my twisted perception
To discover the secret of apparitions
That darkness does not shade the maelstrom aperture
Being ever present breaking forth
The sunlight streaming nectar
Piercing shadows with whisper voices
A song that beckons me to lie down
Among the orchids

The inspiration behind the poem


I find watching plastic bags caught in trees to be compelling,  because they're such rich metaphors for struggle and beauty.  Poetry, like all art, helps me to break out of the loneliness that I sometimes feel.  This is because I'm connecting with something larger than myself, rather than focusing exclusively on my own needs. "Make Art, Not Loneliness" might be a worthwhile slogan for our generation, don't you think? 

Feel free to comment below or subscribe by clicking the follow button in the upper right. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment