Saturday, May 7, 2016

Can seashells change the direction of our lives?

Hear the ocean of a Mother's love
The silent guns sit as moss crossed its legs upon the flowering torrents. Outside of the fort, a mother and son walk across another kind of graveyard. The shell like bones litter the seabed with grave robbers waving their pincher swords.  The unknown possibilities of what hidden treasures they might find made this world a magical place.

The above memory was of my Mom and I at Fort Desoto beach when I was a child. These outings to look for shells required us to wade out into the Gulf of Mexico until we reached a sand bar island. The sense of wonder in my child like mind ignited my sense of discovery and adventure that remain with me to this day. This led me to move out to Colorado where today I find new gems on my hikes: a vista, wildlife or a shooting location. I explore new terrains via photography, writing, painting and short films. All made possible because my Mom took the time to listen to me and my desire to go out to that island. She let me become the person I was meant to be.

What are the events that impacted us so deeply that we can share with our Mothers (or others if no longer living) this Mother’s Day?  Feel free to share by commenting below. Shells are like memories where we can hear the ocean of her love forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment